123

Montello, WI Opera House and Bank Fire, Oct. 1884

Ruins in Montello A Destructive Fire in That Enterprising Little Village

The Opera House and Bank Burned

Millinery and General Merchandise Store and One Dwelling Destroyed-Losses About $35,000-supposed Work of Incendiaries

Montello, Wis., Oct. 16 [Special] At 2 o'clock this morning a fire was discovered on the roof of a general merchandise store at this place, and it gained such rapid headway as to consume property to the amount of $25,000 above insurance. The bank, Opera hall, a general merchandise store, millinery store and one dwelling house were completely destroyed. The fire is supposed to have been the in-work of cendiaries, but no one has yet been arrested. This is a sad loss to the village, which containes about 800 inhabitants.

Later-the losses are distributed among the following persons: Dr. Beck's office and drug store; Mrs. Shueber's millinery store and residence; Mr. Roskie's large general merchandise establishment; the Montello bank, owned by John Teny; Fitzpatrick's tailor shop. Three dwellings were destroyed, but the owner's names cannot be learned.

Montello is the county seat of Marquette county, and was incorporated as a village in 1868. The granite quarries constitute the largest industry, supporting several hundred people. A bank, mill, several stores, both brick and frame, and good school-house comprise the solidity of Montello. The town is reached via the Packwaukee branch of the Wisconsin Central and in season is headquarters and general distributing point for a large section of country that affords excellent shooting-the hunters sometimes remaining there for weeks without changing headquarters. Montello is twenty-four miles from Portage and within a cuople hours drive of the club-house owned by members of the Milwaukee club. Source: Milwaukee Daily Journal, (Milwaukee, WI) Thursday, October 16, 1884; col E

123