123

Poynette, WI Merchants' Hotel Fire, Sept 1929

Poynette Landmark Destroyed by Fire

75-Year-Old Hotel Gutted; Guests Flee Blaze

[State Journal News Service]

POYNETTE, ----Rebuilding of the Merchants' hotel which was burned after an explosion early Sunday morning, will be impossible, it was said today. The 75 year old landmark was almost completely destroyed by the blaze.

Damage is estimated at $12,000.

The structure originally housed the Poynette academy, which was closed in 1911, when the building was remodelled[sic] for a hotel.

Families living in the hotel were routed by the flames which attacked the north wing after an explosion of a stove. The roof collapsed soon after their exit.

Poynette firemen were able to prevent a spread of the flames to adjacent buildings, but aid from Portage, Pardeeville, and Arlington was called to fight the blaze in the building. The fire was under control at 4 a.m., after the four fire departments' pumps had obtained an adequate supply of water from a pond.

The Wisconsin State Journal, Racine, WI 3 Sept 1929

--------

Poynette Landmark Destroyed by Fire

POYNETTE,----Burning of the Merchants' hotel marks the passing of one of Poynette's oldest landmarks. Seventy-five years ago, Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Jamieson erected the north wing, in which they operated a tavern. For about twenty-five years, the wayside traveller found rest for himself and shelter for his team at the old inn.

The in 1881, Dr. W. L. Green, who was at that time pastor of the First Presbyterian church in Madison, purchased the tavern and organized the Presbyterian academy, where the Bible was a regular study in the school curriculum.

Miss Harriet Green, daughter of Dr. Green, who is still a resident of Poynette, was the preceptress and Bible teacher. Mrs. Charles Mair, nee Corda Lee Baughn, was for some time preceptress and English teacher. Frank I. Doudna was the principal for five years.

In 1911, Poynette academy consolidated with Carroll college, Waukesha. The building was remodelled[sic] and modernized with a $13,000 improvement and converted into a community hotel, which was later sold to Frank Hadden.

The Wisconsin State Journal, Racine, WI 5 Sept 1929

123