New Richmond, WI Tornado, Jun 1899 - Stories
Stories of the Cyclone
Stevens Pointers Return from the Scene of the Wreck at New Richmond
Drs. C. von Neupert, jr. and F.A. Walters and Undertakers H.D. Boston and C.H. Grant, Mrs. Margaret Moran and son, Dan, returned this morning from New Richmond. They all tell the most harrowing and heart rending tales from the scene of the wreck.
Superintendent Horn's train arrived at new Richmond Tuesday morning at 6 o'clock, 12 hours after the cyclone, and the people were still searching for the dead and severely wounded in the wreckage. A few doctors and help from Stillwater and St. Paul had already arrived. Every man with a satchel was regarded as a physician and as Drs. von Neupert and Walters walked up the street from the depot toward the business part of town they were hailed on every side and were called upon to attend to the needs of the injured.
The doctors and undertakers from here took charge of the work in the Congregational church. The doctors had many persons brought to them with broken bones, nearly all compound fractures, and some were severely cut by the flying debris. Any of these who needed hospital treatment were sent to St. Paul. Others were cared for in the houses left standing.
In the path of the storm, which was two blocks wide, not the least sign of a building stands upright, except part of a heavy masonry bank vault. Many persons, it is believed, who were only slightly if at all injured, lost their lives in the fire, or were choked to death with smoke, penned up as they were in the basements of buildings.
Hundreds of dead animals, dogs, cows, horses, were killed or cruelly mutilated. Dr. von Neupert noticed one old horse standing in a side street with all the skin torn off from one side and its ribs exposed. This and many other wounded animals were shot.
In many cases houses which stood partly in the path of the whirlwind were torn in two, as if by a knife or cleaver, and one part demolished and the other left standing.
The ground for half a mile on either side of the town is covered with small splinters of boards. In many places these are jabbed into the sides and roofs of buildings just as one would jab a knife or dagger in a board.
Those from here who remained in New Richmond over night were A.R. Horn, J.J. Callaghan, Mrs. Cadman and Mrs. Van Valkenberg. Dr. C. von Neupert, sr., Dr. John Phillips, Dr. G.M. Houlehan, R.H. Mieding, Mr. and Mrs. F.R. Sellers, Mrs. A.R. Horn and Mrs. J.J. Callghan went up on the morning trains.
Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, WI 14 Jun 1899