Dundee, WI (near) Butane Stove Explosion, July 1963

3 KILLED IN BLAST AT CAMP.

Dundee, Wis. (UPI) -- Two little girls and a young mother were burned to death Wednesday when a butane gas stove exploded in a tent occupied by three vacationing families.
Six others were injured when the flaming gas roared through the tent at Kettle Moraine state forest.
The dead were identified as CHERYL, 2, and SANDRA, 10 months, daughter of MR. and MRS. LARY WILLIAMS, Markham, Ill., and MRS. JOANNE BANDEKO, 31, Hazel Crest, Ill.
In critical condition at St. Mary's Hospital burn center in Milwaukee were MRS. WILLIAMS, 24, her son STEVEN, 3, and ARNOLD JONES, 8, son of MR. and MRS. CLEO JONES, Beason, Ill.
ARNOLD'S mother, PATRICIA JONES, 27, was in fair condition at St. Mary's Hospital.
DIANA YATES, 15, Pekin, Ill., and MICHAEL BANDEKO, 6, were treated at Plymouth Hospital for burns to the chest and arms.
The three women and the YATES girl are sisters.
Authorities said the three husbands, WILLIAMS, BANDEKO and CLEO JONES, had gone fishing on Long Lake just before the disaster struck.
Sheriff Raymong Howards said a rubber hose on the butane heater either broke or burned through and caused the explosion, which leveled the tent in which the three families were camping.

Lima News Ohio 1963-07-04

Comments

Article

This article while factual, is not complete. Michael Bandeko was admitted to Milwaukee Burn Center, also. The remaining children with the exception of myself died of their injuries. Michael Bandeko