Winlock, WA House Fire, Mar 1969

Fire Destroys Winlock Home

Winlock-A fire destroyed a 2½ story frame dwelling of the W.E. Zeise family, St. Urban district, at 7:15 a.m. Monday, reported Ed Schilittler, Winlock fire chief.

The fire, thought to have been caused by defective wiring, apparently started in an upstairs bedroom, Schilittler said. The family was able to save some items of furniture, but all of their clothing and other personal effects were lost. There were no injuries, Schlittler said.

The Winlock Fire Department answered the call and was assisted by the Napavine Fire Department. It was not known whether the house was covered by insurance, not was there an estimate of the loss.

The family was at breakfast when one of the children went upstairs and discovered the fire behind a dresser in a bedroom.

Gail Wisner of Gail Electric, where Zeise is employed, reported that the Zeises have nine children, all at home, and donations of any kind to help the family may be left at Gail Electric in Chehalia.

Daily Chronicle, Centralia, WA 24 Mar 1969