Eastville, VA Marine Transport Crash, Feb 1951


Eastville, Va., Feb. 7 (AP) -- A Marine transport plane crashed in rain and windstorm near this Virginia Eastern Shore community today, killing all nine men aboard.
The two-engined craft, en route from Cherry Point, N.C., to FLoyd Bennett Field, N.Y., spun out of control in the heavy rain, a witness said, and cracked up on the edge of a creek.
Military authorities who arrived on the scene not long after the crash told reporters all nine men aboard were killed. Only five bodies had been removed by 7 p.m., however.
A reporter said he was told by military officials that four of the bodies would have to be cut out with acetylene torches.
Five bodies had been removed from the wreckage at 9 p.m., said a spokesman at the nearby Chincoteague Naval Air Station, and four bodies remained in the plane.
The Chincoteague spokesman said he was told by a Naval officer at the scene of the crash that at least two of the bodies would not be removed until tomorrow. He said officials were uncertain whether they would be able to remove any more of the men tonight.
At the time the plane crashed, a nearby farmer -- who could not be identified -- said the craft appeared to be "out of control" in very high winds, the Chincoteague spokesman said.
The big ship, and R4Q Fairchild tactical transport, shattered into two large pieces when it hit. The nose came to rest on the bank of Hungar's Creek. The fuselage settled slowly into the waters of the stream.
Parts of the craft were strewn for an area of 300 yards, according to witnesses at the scene.
HERBERT CHARNOCK, an Eastville carpenter working on a house about 200 yards from the crash spot, said the plane came over the building, made two complete spins and then nosed into the creek.
When he reached the wreckage, CHARNOCK said, he pulled out three of the Marines. All were dead. CHARNICK said he then notified the office of Northampton County Sheriff GEORGE TURNER.
CHARNOCK said he was unable to get to all the bodies because of high water in the creek.

The News Frederick Maryland 1951-02-08



Eastville, Va. -- (AP) -- Salvage crews from the Chincoteague Naval Air Station Thursday hauled away the wreckage of a two-engined transport that crashed near here Wednesday, killing the nine Marines aboard.
Also recovered Thursday were the bodies of four Marines, trapped in the wreckage of the plane in Hungar's Creek, two miles east of this community. Five of the bodies were pulled from the plane soon after it spun out of control and crashed during a wind, hail and snow storm.
Darkness and other conditions prevented the recovery of all bodies Wednesday night.
The bodies were taken to an Eastville funeral home, thence to the U.S. Naval Hospital at Portsmouth.
The plane, an R4Q Fairchild tactical transport, was enroute from Cherry Point, N.C., to Floyd Bennett Field, N.Y., at the time of the crash. It struck the ground, bounced and broke in half, coming to rest in the shallow water of the creek.
Naval authorities Thursday requested Chesapeake Bay watermen and residents of the eastern shore to be on the lookout for the tail assembly which broke away from the ill-fated craft.
The Cherry Point Marine base Thursday identified eight of the dead, but withheld identity of the ninth pending notification of next of kin.
The Cherry Point base identified eight of the dead as:
M/Sgt. B. H. ALDERMAN, 31, of (3328 NE 50th Ave.) Portland, Ore.
M/Sgt. ROBERT L. JONASSON, 38, of (2122 West Washington St.) Santa Ana, Calif.
S/Sgt. J. E. THOMAS, 22, of (5503 Clement Drive) Cleveland, O.
T/Sgt. M. E. RAINEY, 26, of (6322 Victoria St.) Houston, Texas.
T/Sgt. W. J. HOOVER, 26, of New Castle, Pa.
Corp. M. McDONALD, 25, of (4617 Kanaha Ave.) South Charleston, W. Va.
M/Sgt. ROBERT A. HOLLY, 28, of (3471 Santa Ana St.) Riverside, Calif.
Second Lieut. KENNETH H. DIEFFENBACH, 30, of (1326 Farr St.) Scranton, Pa.
The ninth was not immediately identified because his next of kin had not been notified.

Kingsport News Tennessee 1951-02-09