Ashland, VA (near) Bus And Auto Collision, July 1959



Richmond (AP) -- A southbound Greyhound bus, careening out of control after a sideswipe collision with a truck, met a northbound auto head-on today on U.S. 1, 25 miles north of Richmond.
Three persons in the car died. Twenty bus passengers were injured, none seriously. A dozen of the injured were transported to Richmond hospitals by rescue squads. The rest were treated in Ashland, 12 miles north of Richmond.
The dead, three white men, were identified tentatively as Marines stationed at Cherry Point, N.C. An officer at Camp A. P. Hill, Bowling Green, Va., said the men were RAYMOND LEO LAZERE, 26; CHARLES BARTLETT JUDSON, JR., 22; and STANLEY SZYMCZYK.
The car in which they were riding bore Florida plates. Police said the plates had been issed to C. B. JUDSON, JR., of (3131 Southwest 19th Terrace), Miami.
At that address, C. B. JUDSON, SR., said his son, a Cherry Point Marine, was travelilng with some Marine buddies in this area.
The entire front half of the car was mashed beneath the front of the double-decked bus, bound from Detroit to Norfolk with a full load of 48 passengers. The bus was driven by ROBERT W. WARTHAM, 54, of suburban Henrico County.
Police and rescue squad workers labored for half an hour in removing the bodies from the car's front seat.
State Police searched for the red tractor-trailer involved in the sideswipe.
Troopers said the bus was trying to pass the truck, also southbound, when the truck suddenly swerved into the side of the bus. The bus, out of control, crossed into an oncoming lane and collided with the auto.
The bus continued on along the shoulder on the northbound side of the highway, dragging the car in front of it for several hundred feet before finally coming to a stop. Fenders, doors and other parts of the car were strewn for a hundred feet along the edge of the road.
The collision jammed the front door of the bus. Two unidentified sailors aboard the huge carrier broke windows and helped life women and children to the ground.
WARREN H. MORTON, 48, of Detroit, who suffered nose injuried in the smashup, said the bus had just gotten into a patch of light rain.
"Those two sailors (not identified) should get a medal," he said. "No one could get out and everybody was excited. I don't know if there was an emergency door or not. The sailors broke out windows and helped the women and children out first. It was several feet to the ground."
A heavy rain began to fall after the bus was emptied.

The Progress - Index Petersburg Virginia 1959-07-26