Montpelier, VT Flood, Apr 1895
MONTPELIER, Vt., April 14.---Montpelier is experiencing the biggest flood since 1869. The Winoorski and North Branch Rivers, ordinarily small streams, have become roaring torrents. From 10 A. M. until 2 P. M. the water rose thirty-eight inches, and at 6 P. M. it was eighteen inches higher. All the cellars of the houses on Main and State Streets are from three to five feet deep with water. The basements of the Government Building, County House, and Pavilion Hotel are filled. The river has backed up behind the Hotel Kempton and flooded everything to the Central Vermont Railroad station.
The log jam of J. S. Wheelock at East Montpelier gave way early in the afternoon and he lost some 50,000 feet of lumber. Plainfield and Marshfield logmen have been unable to hold back their logs, and they will lose heavily. The M. and W. Railroad stone shed stands in five feet of water and has been greatly damaged. Merchants along Main and State streets have moved their goods, and the city is alive with people working to get their belongings to a place of safety. The Winooski River has been jammed with logs and floating material, and it is feared that the bridge near Tabor will be floated and come down.
The New York Times, New York, NY 15 Apr 1895