Cornwall, VT Thompson Cottage Fire, Feb 1852

----We learn from the Register that at two o'clock on the night of the 6th inst., a beautiful cottage in Cornwall, owned by Lieutenant S. R. Thompson, and occupied by fire. The family only had time to escape, in their night dresses. Much valuable clothing, and all the furniture was consumed, together with many rare pictures, books and curiosities, collected by him during his travels in foreign countries, while an officer in the Navy. An excellent portrait of himself, in full naval costume, with all the family daguerreotypes, were lost. The outbuildings were saved. It is supposed the fire originated from a stove pipe. No insurance.

The Semi-Weekly Eagle, Brattleboro, VT 16 Feb 1852