St. Albans, VT House Fire, Jun 1900

FIRE ON DIAMOND ST.

House of James Lynch Badly Damaged This Morning.

Fire was discovered in the shed adjoining the house on Diamond st., owned by James Lynch, this morning at 7:30 o’clock. The fire had been burning some time before one of the neighbors saw the flames and gave the alarm from box 42.

The interior of the house was badly damaged by water and fire, and the roof was completely demolished. The loss will not be so heavy as would be imagined from the progress the fire had made before the alarm was given, and the high wind which was prevailing. The fire originated in the shed, but it is impossible to ascertain the cause. The family who occupy the lower tenement was away for over Sunday and had not returned, and their rooms down stairs were locked.

The upper tenement is occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Lozelle. Mrs. Lozelle was in the house, but knew nothing of the fire until after the alarm was given. The furniture, both upstairs and down, was saved, being carried out before the fire had reached the front part of the house.

The loss of Mr. Lynch will be partially covered by the insurance.

St. Albans Daily Messenger, St. Albans, VT 11 Jun 1900