St Albans, VT Hospital Fire, Feb 1888

TWO PERSONS BURNED TO DEATH.

ST. ALBANS, Vt., Feb. 13.---The most disastrous fire that this place has seen for some time occurred last night just before midnight. The St. Albans Hospital was completely gutted and two out of eight patients suffocated. The fire was discovered in a closet in the kitchen, and speedily got beyond control. There was no male help present and no special provision to guard against fire. Through some misunderstanding only a brief alarm was given. When the Fire Department got to work the whole interior of the building was in flames and the smoke was so dense that it was impossible for them to enter. One of the victims was Charles Chander, a paralytic, who was found dead in bed, he being unable to help himself. The other victim was Susan Gates of Roxbury, Mass., aged 83 years. She was able to get to a window, but before help could reach her she perished. The hospital was given to the town by Chauncey Warner of Cambridge, Vt., and was insured for $8,500.

The New York Times, New York, NY 14 Feb 1888