Burlington, VT Newspaper Office Fire, Feb 1900
Burlington News Damaged by Fire.
The insurance upon the property in the offices located in the Daily News building, Burlington, which was partially gutted by fire early Saturday morning, was as follows: News Publishing Co., $9,250 F. L. Lane & Co., $1,100; Judge Torrey E. Wales, $800. The insurance in each case far more than covers the loss which, outside of the damage to the interior of the building, is practically only that of water. An examination of the building Saturday after the water had been removed to some extent showed that the fire started in the back part of the building, presumably in the lavatory, where a match or cigarette had been dropped. After gaining some little headway the flames entered the hall in the center of the building and quickly mounted to the garret, where open windows created a destructive draught. In the News composing room and the room used as the editorial office, which is in the rear of the business office, and in the Lane printing office, the damage was considerable.
St. Albans Daily Messenger, St. Albans, VT 26 Feb 1900