Winooski, VT Fire, Mar 1910

Fire In Winooski.

Fire broke out in the Barnes building at the corner of Main and Centre sts., Winooski, March 12. The flames had gained considerable headway when the firemen arrived and great volumes of smoke were pouring from the windows. The hallway separates three families occupying the second floor, and they were compelled to seek safety with neighbors, making their escapes in their night clothing. The building is the property of M. J. Barnes, of Burlington and is insured. On the first floor, which is occupied by E. R. Crandall, who operates a drug store, and F. Edward Allard, tobacco store, much damage was done by water. Stock and fixtures are insured with T. S. Peck and Hickock Agency of Burlington. On the second floor where the fire started no insurance was carried by the families. The third floor is used for a hall by the Masonic order and no damage was done to speak of.

St. Albans Daily Messenger, St. Albans, VT 15 Mar 1910