West Randolph, VT Fire, Dec 1884
A VILLAGE ON FIRE.
SIX STORES, SEVEN DWELLINGS, AND ONE HOTEL DESTROYED.
WEST RANDOLPH, Vt., Dec. 6--A destructive fire visited this village to-day. The flames originated in the basement of a wooden block on Main-street, owned by Dubois & Gay, and occupied by W. E. Lamson as a furniture store. The fire spread rapidly and for six hours raged with great fury, sweeping the business part of the village bounded by Main and Pleasant streets, and Merchant's-row. The fire totally destroyed six stores, seven dwellings, and one hotel. The merchants in most cases removed nearly all their goods. Help was summoned from the surrounding towns, and men and fire engines promptly responded from Montpelier, Northfield, and South Royalton. The origin of the fire is supposed to have been spontaneous combustion. The surrounding property, including Dubois & Gay's fine brick block, occupied by the Post Office, the Randolph Herald and News, and several stores, was only saved by the greatest efforts.
The New York Times, New York, NY 7 Dec 1884