Burlington, VT House Fire, Dec 1906

WOMAN DIES IN A FIRE.

Rescuer Lost Her When He Stooped to Pick Up Clothing.

BURLINGTON, Vt., Dec 16.---Mrs FRANK COONRAD was burned to death in a fire which consumed the American House Block and badly damaged two adjoining blocks to-day. The loss was about $40,000.

The fire is supposed to have started from some ashes deposited in the rear of the building. Fifty hotel guests were forced to flee hurriedly. Benjamin Prosser, a traveling salesman of Ticonderoga, N. Y., gathered up some of his clothes and then ran to the assistance of Mrs. Coonrad, who was hysterical. He got her down one flight of steps, but in stooping to get some clothing he had dropped he lost hold of her and she disappeared. No trace of her has been found.

The New York Times, New York, NY 17 Dec 1906