Fairlee, VT Danforth House Fire, July 1912

Fairlee VT Main Street Circa 1905.jpg

FOUR KILLED IN HOTEL FIRE.

C. E. PERKINS, WIFE, AND DAUGHTER OF FLUSHING DIE OF BURNS AT FAIRLEE, VT.

Fairlee, Vt., July 30.-- Fire that destroyed the Danforth House here today caused the death of four persons and the injury of two others, one probably fatally.
MISS EFFIE PERKINS of Flushing, L. I., and MISS FLORENCE ALBEE of Springfield, Mass, were burned to death.
MISS PERKIN'S parents, MR. and MRS. C. E. PERKINS, were so badly injured that they died within a short time.
MISS BERNICE BEAN of Springfield, Mass., who jumped from a third-story window, is believed to have been fatally hurt.
MISS ALICE PERKINS was seriously burned.
Trapped by the flames in their apartments on the lake side of the hotel, MR. PERKINS, his wife, and daughter, ALICE, jumped from a second-story window into the water. With difficulty they were rescued from drowning. Suffering from burns and the shock of their experience, they were taken to the Mary Hitchcock Hospital, at Hanover, N. H., where MR. and MRS. PERKINS died a few hours later.
The fire was discovered at 6:30 A.M. There were about thirty guests in the house at the time, and nearly all of them were asleep. The blaze is believed to have originated in the pine decorations surrounding the fireplace in the hotel office. The flames spread quickly to all parts of the house, and those who did escape without injury were unable to save any property except the clothes they wore.
CHARLES E. PERKINS and wife and daughter, MISS EFFIE PERKINS, lived at 192 Franklin Place, Flushing. MISS PERKINS was about 20 years old and taught school in Manhattan. Six weeks ago the PERKINS family closed their home in Flushing and went to Vermont on their usual Summer vacation. MR. PERKINS was in business in Manhattan.

The New York Times New York 1912-07-31