Houston, TX Train Wreck, Feb 1894


Brakeman Sent Back to Flag an Approaching Train Shot From Ambush.

Houston, Tex., Feb. 8. - To-night the incoming passenger train on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroad was wrecked on the north side of the bridge across White Oak bayou, four miles above the city. The fish plates, bolts and spikes had been removed. The mail and baggage cars and the first coach went down into the bayou, a distance of thirty feet. The engine, however, got across the bridge, while the second coach careened over just on the other side of the bridge. The cars that went into the bayou are a perfect wreck, being smashed all to pieces. The engineer and fireman fortunately did not jump and they escaped injury.

Immediately after the wreck Conductor Turney sent his brakeman, Joe Elliott, back to flag an approaching train. He had gone a distance of fifteen telegraph poles when he was fired on from ambush. Five of the buckshot found lodgement in his body. The wounds are in his neck, shoulder and side and while the injuries are not believed to be necessarily fatal, they are very dangerous.

Leon Morris of Taylor, the mail agent, went down with his car and when taken out he was terribly bloody. His head was fearfully slashed, his side seriously injured and his shoulder badly bruised. It is believed, however, that with careful nursing there is a chance for him to pull through.

J. H. Carter of Denison, the baggage man, was also seriously injured, being bruised badly and some of his limbs probably broken. The express messenger, named Hatton, who is in the employ of the American express company, received dangerous injuries, and one of the passengers is also badly hurt, to say nothing of the others who were severely shaken up.

Valuable express packages, money packages and Uncle Sam's mail were scattered to the four winds, and a great deal of it went floating down the bayou and may never be recovered.

The wreck occurred about 5 o'clock, and a short while after Drs. J. R. Stuart and R. C. Miller went out on a relief train to look after the wounded. They did all they could, placing the wounded on stretchers, and later on removed them to the Stuart & Boyles infirmary, where they are receiving every attention. The relief train made two trips to the scene of the wreck, and did not get back from the last trip until nearly 3 a. m.

It was one of the worst wrecks that ever occurred in south Texas, and the scene about the mishap beggared description. The groans of the wounded men mingled with the cries of the frightened women and children. It was clearly an attempt of train robbers and murder combined, and it is simply wonderful that the attempt was not successful.

Sheriff Ellis and the other officers are doing everything in their power to get a clew [sic] to the identity of the offenders.

Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 9 Feb 1894