Dushore, PA Fire, Jun 1898



Damage About $6,500 - Heroic Work by Fire Fighters - Two Men Badly Injured.

DUSHORE June 6 -- (Special to the TIMES) -- At 6 o'clock last evening the large three story block of Emile F. Tobach was discovered to be on fire, and an alarm was sounded which brought every resident to the scene. All were arrayed in their best clothes. They did not stop to change however and went to work with a will to stay the work of the flames.

The Biddle block is occupied by Samuel Cole, who carries one of the largest stocks of hardware in this section of the State and the four stories were filled.

Adjoining is the Emile Tobach block three stories high which is occupied as a furniture and undertaking establishment..

Next came Jacob H. Youngkin's carriage repository harness shop and large stock of agricultural implements.

The fire originated from some mysterious cause near a partition in the basement of the Tobach block which separated it from the Biddle block. As soon as the fire was discovered several courageous [sic] [illegible] men entered the hardware establishment and carried out the gasoline dynamite and other explosives. After a battle of about four hours the fire was extinguished.

Mr. Coes loss will be about $3,000. Tobachs about the same and Youngkins will get off with a loss of about $700. The buildings are quite badly damaged but can be repaired.

While fighting the fire James Cook one of Mr. Cole's employes, fell and had several ribs broken and is injured internally. A ladder broke and precipitated David Wood to the ground and he was so badly injured that he was unconscious for some time.

Wilkes-Barre Times, Wilkes-Barre, PA 6 Jun 1898


Cole's Hardware and Tubach's Furniture Fire

The fire was responsible for a Dushore Fireman being seriously injured, due to a ladder breaking. He was reportedly in a coma for several days, but made a full recovery. As a testament to the firemen of that time.

Dushore Fire Company website