Baumstown, PA Dance Hall Explosion, Nov 1954

DANCE HALL BLAST, FIRE INJURES 3 NEAR READING.

Reading, Pa. (UP) -- Three persons were injured Saturday in an explosion and fire at Giligan's Grille, a combination restaurant and dance hall on the Philadelphia Pike near Baumstown, about eight miles east of here.
The blast blew out the walls of a one-story frame section of the building housing the dance hall. Flames then spread to the two-story brick restaurant portion facing the highway.
MRS. THELMA TELDICKAS, 42, an employe, was trapped inside the collapsed dance hall section for several minutes until a garage owner propped up the shattered ceiling with his tow truck and rescued her. MRS. TELDICKAS was admitted to St. Joseph's Hospital here in fair condition with cuts, bruises and burns of various parts of the body.
The others injured were ABRAM KROW, 49, the proprietor, and his wife, ESTHER, 37. KROW was admitted to the hospital with cuts and burns and his wife was released after treatment of minor injuries.
Firemen said the explosion apparently was caused by a defective gas heater located in the dance hall section of the building.

Lebanon Daily News Pennsylvania 1954-11-14