Carbondale, PA Breaker Boiler Explosion, Mar 1890
THREE KILLED AND THREE INJURED.
Scranton, March 15. -- The Northwest Coal breaker, near Carbondale, was the scene of a boiler explosion today by which three persons were killed and three seriously injured. The engine house in which the boilers were situated was shattered to pieces by the tremendous shock, and three boys, who were eating their dinners there at the time were killed. Their names are:
All were employed as slate pickers in the coal breaker.
The injured are:
HENRY FENWICK, aged forty.
JOHN THOMAS, a slate picker, aged fourteen.
GEORGE ROSS, foreman of the breaker.
All the injured men are so terribly burned that their recovery is considered impossible.
The coal breaker was so badly demolished by the explosion that it will take months to put it in repair. It is the property of Simpson & Watkins, coal operators of Scranton.
New York Times New York 1890-03-16