Bradford, PA Light Explosion, Aug 1888
PECULIAR AND FATAL ACCIDENT.
THREE LIVES LOST BY THE EXPLOSION OF AN APPARATUS FOR MAKING COLORED FIRE.
Bradford, Pa., Aug. 24. -- At 9 o'clock Wednesday night two men were instantly killed and several others injured by the explosion of an iron pipe on the balcony of DR. REID'S office, 75 Main Street.
The pipe was improvised as a feeder for red and blue fire powder, the powder dropping through the pipe upon a projecting natural gas torch. The pipe exploded with a deafening noise, shattering part of the balcony and splitting the pipe into fragments. One of the flying pieces of iron struck ROBERT HURLEY, who was standing on the opposite side of the street, tearing away the whole top of his head, killing him instantly. W. R. CURTIS, of Raw City, was also struck by one of the flying fragments, as was also ED DUEL, of this city. DUEL died almost instantly. CURTIS is still alive, but will die. M. ALBERT had an arm blown off and MRS. McCOMBER lost a leg. Several women and children were more or less injured, but their names and the extent of their injuries can not be ascertained. The explosion occurred on the main thoroughfare where thousands of people had congregated to witness the night parade of the
Evening Gazette Sterling Illinois 1888-08-24