Cobalt, ON Fire, Jul 1909


Half Million Dollars' Damage in Mining Town---One Dead and Six Injured.


Third Blaze in Last Three Months Due to the Chinese, and They May Driven From the District.

Special to The New York Times.

TORONTO, Ontario, July 2.---The mining town of Cobalt was practically wiped out by fire at 4 o'clock this morning. The blaze started on the Paileybury Road at a Chinese restaurant. Three thousand people are homeless. One man was killed and six injured by dynamite exploded in the hope of checking the blaze. Two children are reported missing.

The damage is estimated at $500,000, 150 guildings[sic] being destroyed. The inhabitants are removing remaining household furniture into the hills. As this is the third fire in the last rew[sic] months due to the Chinese, feeling against all Orientals is strong, and it is feared they may be driven from the district.

All the theatres and the roller rink have been turned into temporary refuges for the unfortunates who have lost their homes. A relief committee is actively at work.

Both sides of Paileybury Road for more than half a mile were swept. The Chinese restaurant, where the fire started, is north of the Imperial Bank, and the bank, one confectionery store, and the Taylor hardware store are the only buildings on the street that were not wiped out.

Few companies had accepted insurance risks here, and in the entire street less than $50,000 will cover the entire amount of insurance carried.

Looting is general and no steps are being taken to stop the work of thieves, who are carrying off everything in sight.

The Meyer shaft of the Nipissing and No. 4 shaft of the Chambers Ferland Mine were destroyed, with the following buildings: New York Restaurant, Chamandy Brothers, fruits; Montreal Store, dry goods; International Meat Market, Renfrew boarding house, De Wolf's blacksmith ship, Wingham Hotel, Jamieson's meat market, Tripp's livery, Keeley's drug store, Meredith & Miles, jewelry store; Morin Freres, loss about $25,000; Catholic Church and school and Father Forget's residence, prospecting shaft of Nipissing Mine, Short's warehouse and 100,000 feet of lumber, and Popleton's machine shop, in course of erection.

The Toronto Board of Control dispatched a carload of provisions to-night, and the Provincial Government forwarded 100 tents and 300 blankets.

Several of the near-by mines volunteered to feed and house the large number of sufferers.

The New York Times, New York, NY 3 Jul 1909