NORTH BAY, Ontario. Jan. 21 — Twenty-
five persons, and perhaps twice that
number, were killed this afternoon when
tour cars of a Canadian Pacific passenger
train on the "500" Branch, leaped
from the tracks, and tearing down a
steep embankment, plunged through the
ice-covered surface of the Spanish River.
Some were drowned, others crushed to
to death in grinding timbers. Worst of all,
those caught in the wreckage of one of the cars were burned
to death.
The exact number of dead and injured
is still unknown here to-night, as telegraphic
communication has not yet been
established with the scene of the wreck,
but according to stories told by injured
passengers brought to Sudbury, it was
one of the worst accidents in the history
of Canadian railroads.
The train wrecked was known as No. 7.
en route from Montreal to Sault Ste.
Marie and Minneapolis. An official statement
given out here says that it probably
was due to a broken rail.
The engine, baggage, express, mail,
and one second-class car remained on the
rails, while one second-class, one first-
class, a dining car and a sleeper went
down the embankment. The first-class
car and diner went into the river. The
sleeper and second-class car stopped on
the embankment, the second-class car
was on fire.
The wreck occurred about thirty-seven
miles west of Sudbury, where the tracks
cut into the side of a steep hill, which
is skirted by the river. The forward part
of the train passed over the break, or whatever
it was, in safety.
The day coach, which was the fourth
from the end of the train, was the first
to leave the rails. The train was running
at the rate of about forty miles
an hour and the momentum, carried the
oar down the hill in a terrific plunge.
About twenty-five passengers were in this
car and it is practically certain that none
Two minutes after the first crash, only
the roof of the day coach showed above
the floating ice in the river. The second class
car, the next in the train, smashed
against the end of a culvert, or small
bridge, and was crushed like an eggshell.
Some of the passengers were killed outright,
but others, caught in the wreckage,
which almost immediately burst into
flames, were roasted to death before they
could be rescued. The stanch construction
of the dining car saved its occupants.
It followed the day coach to the very
brink of the river, but everyone on
board escaped without serious injuries.
The sleeper turned over on its side on the
embankment. There were only some
members of the train crew in the sleeper
at the time, and they escaped with slight
Every man who was able to stand at
once turned to the work of rescue. Snow
was piled upon the burning second-class
car, and the train crew and uninjured
passengers did some heroic work in trying
to rescue those pinned in the burning
wreckage. Physicians were hurried
to the scene from Sudbury as sooon as
word was received, and a wrecking train
with General Supt. Gutulius made record
time from North Bay. Arrangements
were made to bring a diver on a special
train from Sault Ste. Marie to recover the
bodies from the submerged car. He is
now at the wreck with a diving outfit.
Mrs. Haude of Sault Ste. Marie died
soon after her removal from the debris.
MONTREAL, Jan. 21.—Vice President McNicol of the Canadian Pacific Railway late to-night issued this statement in regard to the wreck at Webbwood:
"The dining car was only partly submerged
and the passengers escaped. The sleeper turned over on its side. The General Superintendent is upon
the ground with a large gang of men
clearing the wreckage and a diver is on
the way from Sault Ste. Marie."

Jan. 22, 1910 edition of "The New York Times"