Woodward, OK Stove Explosion, Mar 1933

SEVEN DEAD AS STOVE COOKING MASH EXPLODES.

Woodward (Okla), March 25 -- (UP) -- A fire caused by an explosion of a gasoline stove on which whisky mash was cooking, took its seventh victim late to-day when ROY SCHMIDT died in a hospital here.
Five persons -- his wife, baby, his parents and sister -- were trapped, perishing in their beds where they slumbered.
The young farmer rose early to start six gallons of whisky mash cooking. The gasoline stove and mash exploded, engulfed the frame house in flames.
SCHMIDT grabbed his 2-year-old son, DONALD, from bed and ran from the house, their clothes aflame.
DONALD died this afternoon, his father to-night.
The dead:
ROY SCHMIDT.
NICK SCHMIDT, 60.
His Wife, 58.
MRS. ROY SCHMIDT, 24.
JACK SCHMIDT, 3 months.
DONALD SCHMIDT, 2.
MRS. MABLE STEINMEIN, 25.

The Fresno Bee Republican California 1933-03-26