Conneaut, OH Tornado, Oct 1891



CLEVELAND, October 27. – A special to the Plain Dealer from Conneaut, O., says: At 6:30 o’clock last evening a terrible cyclone swept over the town, destroying about thirty houses. The streets were blocked by trees and the debris from the demolished buildings. The large butter tub factory, owned by G. J. Record, is badly wrecked, thousands of dollars worth of stock being completely destroyed. Record’s loss is about $50,000. The planing mill of H. E. Pond, adjoining Records, was greatly damaged. His lumber was strewn all over town and some stocks blown down. Many fine residences suffered heavily, the roofs being torn off and windows broken. The telegraph lines of the Lake Shore and Nickle Plate railway are down. Two telegraph poles were blown through the roof of the Lake Shore depot, and the baggage room was completely destroyed. The debris from the building is strewn along the tracks, rendering it impossible for moving trains. The following property was also partly destroyed: Weldon & Babbitt’s store, Orin Hartshorn’s residence, Charles Patterson’s residence, and about thirty other buildings. The total loss is about $100,000.

The cyclone that visited here last night operated over more territory than was first supposed. It came off the lake from the northwest, sweeping all before it, many narrowly escaping with the lives. The residence of James Ferguson was totally destroyed, and his wife and ten-year-old daughter severely injured. The farm barns of Silas Huter were torn to pieces and a large number of cattle disabled. The Pond Planing Mill was partly torn down and lumber in the yard spread over a mile. In East Conneaut, also, seventy-five houses suffered from the storm. The Lake Shore railroad buildings were wrecked and the wires torn down.

A revised estimate of loss by the wind storm at Connaut, (sic) O., last night, places it at $14,000/ The first report was greatly exaggerated. Nobody was injured during the storm.

Three men were burned to death this evening by an explosion and fire in a small dynamite factory here.

The Columbus Enquirer-Sun, Columbus, GA 28 Oct 1891