Newark, OH Storm, Jul 1915

Little Damage in Newark But Buckeye Lake Suffered From a Terrific Wind Storm

Newark and vicinity were visited by a terrific wind and rain storm last night and early this morning. It was also general over the county, and but very little damage was done outside of the blowing down of standing wheat and oats and toppling over a few telephone poles.

Residents at Buckeye Lake are the worst sufferers, the storm causing hundreds of power boats, moored along the north bank, to crash against the concrete retaining walls, completely wrecking quite a few of them. Small boat houses along the north bank were also blown into the lake and quite a few were demolished.

Rain began falling in the city about 9:30 a’clock [sic] and continued until about 1 o’clock when the storm broke in all its fury. Four an hour or more the wind blew a gale estimated at at least fifty miles an hour. Many people felt their houses rock and arose from bed and sat up the remainder of the night. The rain came down in torrents and so fast was its downpour that sewers all over the city were unable to carry it away and as a consequence there were many flooded cellars this morning. Lightning and thunder accompanied the storm and at timed the display of electrical activity assumed the proportions of awful grandeur.

There was but little damage reported in the city. A big maple tree at the corner of Fourth and High streets was blown over. Limbs were blown down in various sections as were small signs.

When John Jones, the colored porter at Teuscher’s tonsorial parlor in [sic] West Main street opened the place this morning he was astonished to find his big shining stand missing. It stands in front of the shop and John’s first thought was that someone of the numerous night prowlers had carried it away. John had visions of taking the bankruptcy law , when he happened to cast his eyes up the street and there a half a block away reposed his bread and butter maker. John soon recovered it and the first thing he did was to buy a lock and chain and says hereafter he till fool the storms as he might be compelled to chase down to Zanesville one of these days to recover his property.

The local telephone offices escaped with but slight damages. Only a few phones were burned out and there were scarcely any wires dawn [sic]. This is considered remarkable owing to the severity of the storm. It also proves that the companies erect their lines in a most substantial manner.
The Ohio Electric railway suffered but little inconvenience from the storm. At the east end of the interurban line a high tension wire went down and for a time there was some little danger to early pedestrians but the company soon had a force of man out and the damage was repaired. None of the schedules was affected and all trains were on time.

The Newark Advocate, Newark OH 8 Jul 1915