Upper Sandusky, OH Auto And Train Collision, May 1941



A weekend visit to relatives in Richwood ended in tragedy Sunday for eight Michigan people, including four children, who were killed in a railroad crossing crash at Upper Sandusky at 6:22 o'clock Sunday morning.
The Pennsylvania Railroad fast passenger train "Trail Blazer," struck the auto in which the victims were riding and all were killed instantly. The accident happened at the Main Street railroad crossing in Upper Sandusky.
The dead:
BILLY ELISECK, 21, of Saginaw, Mich.;
his wife, STELLA;
and their three children, PATRICIA ANN, 2, WILLIAM, 1, and RONALD, aged 6 weeks;
MRS. HELEN OKRASKA, 51, mother of Mrs. Eliseck;
and her daughter, VIRGINIA, 14, of Saginaw;
and EDMUND JUREZAK, 32, of Hamtramek, Mich.

Visited In Richwood.
The accident victims were on their way home after visiting with Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Nemeth of Richwood. Mr. and Mrs. Nemeth moved to Richwood several weeks ago from Marion. Mr. Nemeth works at the Universal Cooler at Marion.
Mr. and Mrs. Nemeth said that the Michigan people arrived at Richwood about 8 o'clock Saturday evening and left for home about 5 o'clock Sunday morning. Mrs. Stella Elisech and Miss Virginia Okraska were sisters of Mrs. Nemeth and Edmund Jurezak was her brother.
Word of the accident was telephoned to Mrs. Mae Linn of Richwood about 6 o'clock yesterday evening after Upper Sandusky authorities learned that a sister of the crash victims lived in Richwood. Mrs. Linn lives across the street from the Nemeths in Richwood.

Badly Mangled.
The bodies were so badly mangled that it took several hours for authorities at Upper Sandusky to ascertain definitely how many persons had been killed, and it also required hours to establish the identity of the victims.
It was said that Mr. Jurezak purchased the car, a 1936 Pontiac, at Detroit on Friday. Wreckage was strewn along the tracks for seven blocks, Marshall Adolph Kirchner of Upper Sandusky said. The train's engineer, Dan Shepler of Fort Wayne, Ind., said the flyer was traveling 70 miles an hour when it hit the automobile. Normally, Shepler said, the train hits 90 just before reaching Upper Sandusky. It was 15 minutes late at the time of the crash.
Police said that the moving railroad signal at the crossing was working and apparently had not been seen by the driver of the car. The accident was the worst in Ohio this year and accounted for almost half of the accidental deaths in Ohio over the weekend.
The locomotive of the train was put out of commission temporarily and a new one was brought from the railroad's yards at Crestline.

Marysville Journal-Tribune Ohio 1941-05-26