Woodburn, OH House Fire, Mar 1872

FIRE AT WALNUT HILLS.

Mr. Dexter's Residence Burned.

About half past 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon a fire broke out in the residence of Mr. Edmund Dexter, situated on the Madison pike, near the intersection of the Grandin and Torrence roads, in Woodburn. The fire originated from a defective flue, and the sparks soon communicated with the tower, and in a few minutes the entire building was in flames. The alarm was sent in from box 198, which was promptly answered by the arrival of the engines, but, owing to the scarcity of water, they were not so effective as they otherwise would have been. With the assistance of his neighbors, Mr. Dexter succeeded in saving all his furniture and household effects. The loss on the building will probably reach $8,000, which is fully covered by insurance in companies represented in this city.

Cincinnati Daily Gazette, Cincinnati, OH 21 Mar 1872