Newark, OH Storm, Jun 1915

Sunday Afternoon's Storm Had Fatal Results And Did Much Damage Over Ohio

Columbus, June 14.---A storm which was general all over Ohio did thousands of dollars' worth of damage Sunday afternoon, caused two deaths and sent hundreds of pleasure seekers to cover. A heavy wind and electrical storm accompanied the rain. Buildings were unroofed, trees blown down, much damage done to telephone and telegraph wires and other havoc wrought.

Much fear was felt by the thousands of persons at Buckeye Lake Park for the safety of the hundreds of fishermen and pleasure seekers who were out on the lake when the storm broke shortly after 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon. A gale blowing 60 miles an hour, lasted nearly 30 minutes, causing mammoth caps. Those in charge of the Del Fisher Boat Line scoured the lake with field glasses for upturned boats. Only one was sighted. The life-saver who manned the rescue boat found the upturned craft to be one which had broken loose from shore and had drifted toward the middle of the lake.

In the city, there was little damage other than that done to trees when limbs were blown off. In several cases chimneys were blown from houses, etc. A case in front of the Cornell clothing store was blown over and destroyed.

One of the doors at police headquarters was blown shut and shattered, the entire top of the frame being torn away. Headquarters Officer Donley narrowly escaped being caught under the falling debris.

Telephone companies were busy all day Monday repairing damage done to wires and cables.

At the ball park, the seven or eight hundred spectators were alarmed by the appearance of the storm which came up quickly. Ball players in the field who watched the progress of the clouds declared that they had the appearance of a cyclone, but the storm lifted as it approached the park and the only discomfort suffered was from the rain which at times blew into the grandstand where most of the spectators took refuge.

The wind blew a heavy limb off a big tree at the corner of First and East Main streets, and it struck the roof of the house owned and occupied by Mrs. Mary E. Barker. The limb went through the slate roof, and dislodged the plastering in one of the upstairs rooms.

The Newark Advocate, Newark, OH 14 Jun 1915