Lima, OH Trailer Fire, Feb 1948

2 CHILDREN DIE IN TRAILER BLAZE

STEPBROTHER BURNED TRYING TO SAVE PAIR

Boys Suffocated, Officials Say as Stove is Blamed.

Two children suffocated at 10 p. m. Wednesday when fire, caused by a kerosene heating stove, swept the box-like addition to an automobile trailer in which they slept.

The victims were JOHN, 4 and DONALD EUGENE, 3, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Raymond F. Woodall, 13th-st and Greenlawn-av.

Their stepbrother, John Whittaker, 17, was burned about the face when he removed the children from the blazing structure.

MR. AND MRS. Woodall and five other children, one four-months, who were in the trailer, escaped.

Efforts by the fire department's inhalator squad to revive the children were futile. They were pronounced dead on arrival at St. Rita's hospital.

The family had moved to the makeshift residence last Friday from 1244 N. Central-av, the father reported.

Whittaker said the lean-to was used as a kitchen and also as a bedroom for the children and himself.

"WE PUT Johnny and Donny to bed and went to the trailer to listen to a radio program. When it was finished I went to the kitchen and smoke and fire were coming out of it," he said.

"I went in and grabbed the children. They weren't crying. We took them to a neighbor's house. Firemen came and tried to bring them around. It was no use."

Surviving children are Mona Kay, 6, Bonnie, 5, Connie, four months, Louise, 16, and Barbara 17.

Double funeral services will be held at 2 p. m. Saturday in the Siferd and Son funeral home.

Allen-co sheriff's deputies assisted Lima firemen at the scene of the tragedy, handling traffic in the vicinity.

Lima News, Lima, OH 5 Feb 1948