Cincinnati, OH Hotel Fire, Jan 1899

SENSATIONAL HOTEL FIRE.

GUESTS ESCAPED IN THEIR NIGHT ROBES -- GOT OUT JUST IN TIME -- SMALL LOSS.

Cincinnati, O., Jan. 20. -- A hotel fire with sensational escapes took place between 3 and 4 a.m. today. The Sherwood House, on the east side of Walnut, above Sixth, took fire probably from an overheated furnace, and in a very brief time the house was so filled with smoke as to endanger the lives of the 60 or more sleeping guests.

Many of the guests were members of theatrical companies. Very soon the upper corridors were filled with shrieking, hysterical women in night robes. The male guests had difficulty in restraining the women from jumping from windows. The firemen were active in carrying out the women and most of them were rescued by the stairway, but several were taken down by the ladders and by the fire escapes. F. H. MUNCH, a traveling salesman from New York, was among the last to be rescued. He was found with a wet towel over his face in an unconscious condition, but by the air of physicians was saved.

Several of the half-suffocated guests were carried into the hotel Stratford. The entire fire department was called out and the fire subdued before the building was destroyed.
The money loss will not exceed $10,000, fully insured.

Fort Wayne Gazette Indiana 1899-01-21