Ocracoke, NC (Off Shore) Steamer HOME Disaster, Oct 1837


By the steamboat from Norfolk, arrived this morning, we have the truly heart-rending intelligence that the steam packet Home, Captain WHITE, from New York for Charleston, whence she sailed on Saturday, the 7th inst., sprung a leak on Monday, the 9th, when off Cape Hatteras, and was run ashore six miles north of Ocracoke, in order to save the lives of those on board. The Home had on board ninety passengers, of whom seventy perished, and of her crew of forty-five, twenty-five were lost -- making a total loss of ninety-five lives. Two of the passengers who escaped have reached this city. We have conversed with MESSRS. ROWLAND and HOLMES, the two passengers on board the Home, who reached this city on their return to New York to replace their lost papers, &c. They state the Home made rapid progress after she left New York, and had proceeded as far as to the southward of Cape Hatteras, when the wind, which had blown very freshly all Monday morning, 9th inst., increased to a gale about two o'clock P.M., and caused the boat to labour very much. It was soon very generally manifest that her frame was not strong enough to withstand the violence of the sea, and we learn that she raised in the bow and stern at least three feet from her proper line. It is supposed that she leaked freely, for she soon settled so deep in the water as to render her wheels entirely useless, and her sails were then raised to run her on shore. About seven or eight o'clock, P.M., the water had quenched the fire under the boilers, and she continued nearing the land by means of her sails, until half past ten o'clock at night, when she struck the shore near Ocracoke, and immediately went to pieces. The passengers were now in the greatest confusion and alarm -- some leaped overboard, and were drowned in attempting to swim to land, while others possessed themselves of pieces of timber, and floated ashore nearly exhausted with cold and fatigue. One of the gentlemen above mentioned informs us that he remained quietly on the forecastle, and floated on shore on it after the boat went to pieces. MRS. SCHROEDER, one of the two ladies who were saved, lashed herself to one of the timbers, and reached the shore in safety. MRS. LACOSTE, although a very feeble old lady, aged about seventy years, was safely dragged out of the surf. She is supposed to have been buoyed up by a settee. One of the passengers had on a life preserver, and got safely to land by its aid.

Continued on Page 2.