New York, NY Hudson River drowning, Jul 1905


Young Kahn Was Giving an Exhibition of Diving.

While entertaining several of his companions with an exhibition of diving, Max Kahn, an expert swimmer, nineteen years old, of 1 West One Hundred and Seventeenth Street, wa drowned at 6 o'clock last evening in the Hudson River at the foot of One Hundred and Fifty-fifth Street. At midnight his body had not been recovered. The young man's father, Henry E. Kahn, called at the West One Hundred and Fifty-second Street Police Station late last night and identified Max's clothing.

A half dozen young men and boys wnet to the baths at the foot of West One Hundred and Fifty-fifth Street shortly before 6 o'clock and were soon playing in the water. Young Kahn, who had gained the admiration of his companions by his strong swimming and athletic evolutions, at length stood up on the outer float and shouted:

"Now, fellows, I'll show you how to dive."

"Go ahead!" and "Dive away!" they responded.

Kahn dived time after time, now forward, now backward, frequently staying under water nearly a minute and reappearing at unexpected points.

"Now, fellows, watch me!" he cried for perhaps the twentieth time, as he sprang forward and again disappeared beneath the water. A minute passed, and he failed to reappear.

"I wonder where he's got to this time?" said one of his companions, as all scanned the surface of the water.

The time lengthened to two minutes, and some of the boys became anxious. Others laughingly declared that Max was watching them from behind some post.

"This is getting serious," said Walter Skelly, one of the party, when young Kahn failed to respond to their inquiring shouts. "I'm going down to the bottom."

It was evident by this time that they boy had met with a serious mishap, and Skelly dived time and again, but failed to find his comrade. The young fellows were at length forced to the conclusion that the boy was dead. They carried his clothing to the police station, and further efforts were made to recover the body under the direction of the police, but it was not found.

The New York Times, New York, NY 4 Jul 1905