Forest Lawn Station, NY Railroad Accident, Aug 1889



Rochester, Aug. 10. -- The Thousand Island fast express on the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg Railroad crashed into a train standing at the Forest Lawn station, while running at a high rate of speed, at 8 o'clock this morning.
Two persons were killed and several injured.
The list of killed and injured is as follows:

JOHN JAY, Oswego.
MISS ELLA PERRIN, twenty-three years old, of St. Johns, Mich.

FREDERICK BELL, Cheboygan, Mich., compound fracture of left leg.
SAMUEL BROWN, Sherman, N. Y., right leg and toes of left foot crushed off.
JOHN BARKER, engineer of express, badly injured and taken to his home in Oswego.
MISS FRANCES HANNON, Siskyou, Ontario, right leg broken and head and face badly cut.
MISS LOUISE MOORE, Landstown, Canada, right leg broken.
MRS. H. M. PERRIN, St. Johns, Mich., collar bone broken and bad bruises.
MR. H. M. PERRIN, St. Johns, Mich., head and face bruised and badly injured internally.
MISS SARAH M. SWEET, West Wolcott, hip injured.
ANDREW TIFFANY, Oswego, injured internally.

Forest Lawn Station is nine miles east of Rochester and about seven miles from Windsor Beach, which is a popular summer resort for residents of Rochester. A "stub" train runs from Windsor Beach to Forest Lawn Station, and in the morning is usually crowded with men going to their business in this city.

The "stub" train drew up at the Forest Lawn station this morning just before 8 o'clock. The passengers had left the train, and it was waiting for those going back to Windsor Beach when the express dashed into sight. It should have left Oswego at 4 o'clock A.M., but it was late.

Everything that was possible on the instant to stop the express was done, but without avail. It struck the standing train running nearly at full speed. The rear car of the latter was completely telescoped, the engine of the express pushed through it, and both were piled up on the platform of the station. The cars of the express were turned over into a ditch, and piled one on top of another.
A special train was at once sent to the scene of the disaster from Rochester and the injured were placed on cots and brought to the city. They were removed in patrol wagons and ambulances to the City Hospital.

Reports vary as to the blame for the accident. The company's officials are reticent, and do not make an official statement. It is said by some that the Forest Lawn train had no flag displayed, and by others, that the express had orders to run no further than Forest Lawn.
MRS. PERRIN was so badly injured that it was not thought safe to let her know of the death of her daughter, when she asked for as soon as she was taken from the wreck. It is feared the shock of the news of her death may cause MR. PERRIN'S death, as he is very low.

The New York Times New York 1889-08-11