Hancock, NY Train Wreck, Jan 1904


Fifteen Persons Hurt by Passenger Wreck on the Erie---Broken Rail the Cause.

Special to The New York Times.

HANCOCK, N. Y., Jan. 11.---The second section of the Chicago and New York limited express, on the Erie Railroad, was plunged into the Delaware River just west of this place at 2:50 this afternoon. The train was four and a half hours behind schedule time, and was going at a high rate of speed, when it struck a sharp curve and a broken rail, which threw the whole train, except the engine and the combination coach, down a fifteen-foot embankment and into the icy waters of the Delaware.

Only forty passengers were on the train. None was killed outright, although fifteen persons were injured, four of whom are porters or dining cars cooks. The train was in charge of Conductor Robert H. Barnes of Binghamton and Engineer George Werth of Susquehanna, who both escaped injury.

Among the passengers badly injured are G. D. Barber of Port Jervis, and Mrs. Paul Stevens, 203 East Thirty-third Street, New York City. A. Clarssio, colored, a cook, suffered probably fatal internal injuries. W. A. Robinson, colored, second cook, was severely injured about the head and body. The two latter were found lying in the icecold water unable to help themselves. Both are from Brooklyn. John Washington, colored, of Jersey City, a waiter is badly injured internally, and his left arm is broken.

Miss Anna Schaefer and Mrs. G. Miller, both of New York City, are slightly injured. Mrs. L. F. Merriman of Akron, Ohio, was also hurt, though not badly. Mrs. Anna Baker of Westfield, N. J., sustained injuries to her back.

Mrs. Riley Allen of Olean, who was on her way to New York City, was rescued uninjured from a window of a half submerged car. Assistance was at one rendered by local doctors and villagers, and the suffering ones were made as comfortable as possible, being carried to the village and sheltered from the biting cold. The Hotel Jones became a veritable hospital until the relief train arrived, when the injured were taken to the Port Jervis Hospital.

The New York Times, New York, NY 12 Jan 1904