Titanic Sinking - Burying the Dead


Unidentified and Unclaimed Bodies Will Be Interred Friday by Direction of Coroner.


That of Isidor Straus Is Due in New York This Afternoon---Clash Over Identification.

Special to The New York Times.

HALIFAX, N. S., May 1.---Nearly all the nameless sixty of the Titanic's dead which were brought to this port by the cable ship Mackay-Bennett yesterday morning, and not a few of the identified bodies, which have yet to be claimed, will be buried in the cemeteries of Halifax on Friday afternoon at 3 o'clock.

That morning at 11 o'clock the Halifax branch of the Evangelical Alliance will hold memorial services. At a meeting held yesterday it was suggested that all the churches of the country should join in the services at the same hour.

Col. Astor's body, which left at 9 o'clock this morning, will not be taken to New York, but by way of Portland and Albany direct to Rhinecliff-on-the-Hudson. Isidor Straus's body is due to reach New York at 2 o'clock to-morrow afternoon.

Before the Mackay-Bennett reached Halifax it was thought that it would be possible for the dead to be held for two weeks, but in many cases the effect of days and days of the bodies in cold water has made the task of the embalmers impossible. This afternoon, after a conference between the Medical Examiner, the officer who here performs the function of Coroner in New York, and the White Star people, it was announced that burial could not be long delayed.

Ismay's Secretary Buried.

W. H. Harrison of Liverpool, Secretary to J. Bruce Ismay and Assistant Secretary of the International Mercantile Marine Company, was buried this afternoon in Fairview Cemetery after services in the Anglican Cathedral. The men from the White Star offices stopped their work at the rink to attend the funeral.

Friends and relatives have removed from the Mayflower curling rink twenty-seven of the Titanic's dead. Instructions have been wired to the White Star officers for the removal of many others and these will be on their way to-morrow.

There still remain a considerable number of bodies whose identity was established at sea and who have yet to be claimed, and there still remain the sixty dead whom the Mackay-Bennett brought to shore unnamed. The identity of a few of these can be guessed at. The identity of none of them is certain.

The painstaking examination of the effects of the sixty men and women is being made. An old letter tucked far into the lining of a water soaked wallet suggests that one body is that of Arthur White, one of the ship's barbers. One of the men from the crew of H. M. C. S. Niobe, in dry dock here, visited the rink and gave it as his belief that another was William Gorey, a stoker, who was an old shipmate of his. The name W. Gough was found burnt into the leather of a belt on one man. Clues to the identity of several more have been found.

Although it was known that nearly all of these were members of the Titanic's crew, and although it was practically certain that none were first or second class passengers, still those who did not find their dead when the Mackay-Bennett came to shore made a careful search of the curling rink. Major Blanton Winship's search for the body of his friend, Major Butt, was vain. The search for the bodies of Edgar J. Meyers, of Mrs. Isidor Straus, and Jacques Futrelle likewise was futile. Such searches were made without hope, but they were made, and many people spent the morning in reading over the tabulated descriptions of the appearance and personal effects of those who were buried at sea.

These gave no clews.[sic] Major Winship made a particularly careful inqury[sic] concerning the two bodies recovered where the surname was Butt. One R. Butt, a light-haired young man about 25 years old, was brought to shore. He wore a steward's coat. The other, N. Butt, was buried at sea, but the description showed that he was from Canute Road, Southampton. The purser of the Mackay-Bennett described him as a man of about 30 years, with light hair and carrying in his pocket several cards of the Seafarers' Union.

Those of the Titanic dead who have already been removed from the rink are John Jacob Astor, Isidor Straus, George E. Graham, Milton C. Long, W. D. Douglass, Thomas McCaffery, Timothy McCarthy, R. F. White, George Rosenshine, Englehart Ostby, Emil Brandeis, Frank D. Millet, C. C. Jones, Walter C. Porter, E. G. Grosby, A. O. Holverson, Wyckoff Vanderhof, Edward A. Kent, H. J. Allison, A. S. Nicholson, Stanley Fox, W. H. Harrison, Sante Righini of 265 Eighty-ninth Street, Brooklyn, who was carried on the Mackay-Bennett's list as Saute A. W. Newell, Ramon Artagaveytia, Alfred Rowe, and Del Carlo Sebastiona.

Compared with the days that have just passed, Halifax seems deserted to-night. Many went out on the morning train, and many more left this evening. Few are keeping up the vigil until the return of the Minia from the scene of the wreck. She cannot arrived here before the early part of next week. She may be delayed much longer. Capt. Larndner's prediction that Capt. De Carteret would find new in his cruise for the dead continued to be borne out this morning, when this wireless message was sent from the Captain of the Minia to the White Star offices:

Today and Tuesday northerly gales, misty; found T. W. King, purser's assistant, latitude 41:30 longitude 40:15, being forty-five miles east of that found yesterday, showing how widely scattered and difficult the bodies are to find, with no reports from passing steamers to help me. Icebergs numerous as far south as 40:30 in 48:30.

On the eve of his departure for New York this evening Albert Rosenshine, whose brother George's body was recovered by the Mackay-Bennett, sent to United States Consul General Ramsdale his check for $100 to be turned over to the cable ship in appreciation of the manner in which they did their work. In the accompanying note he said he hoped that contribution would be the first of a large number.

The New York Times, New York, NY 2 May 1912