Waterford, NJ Bus-Auto Wreck, Oct 1933

3 Killed, 4 Badly Hurt in Flaming Auto After Crash With Bus on White Horse Pike

WATERFORD, N. J., Oct. 22.—
Three persons were killed, four
were critically injured and nine
were severely shaken and bruised
in a collision between a northbound
sedan and—a southbound
Beach Haven bus on White Horse
Pike here at 10 o'clock tonight.
The dead and the critically injured
were passengers in the sedan.
Their machine burst into flames at
the moment of impact and overturned
in the ditch. Passing motorists,
townsfolk and the driver of a
northbound bus pulled them from
the flaming wreckage.
The dead were:
Oxford Street, Philadelphia, a laborer.
HENDRICKS, ELEANOR, 4-years old, of
1,814 North Mascher Street, Philadelphia,
his granddaughter.
HENDRICKS, JAMES, Jr., 3-years old, her
The critically injured were:
EVERHART, Mrs. KATIE, 49 years old,
grandmother of the two children. She is
in West Jersey Hospital, Camden, with
possibly fractured skull and severe body
HENDRICKS, JAMES Sr., in Cooper Hospital,
Camden, severely burned and badly
cut and lacerated.
QUTNN, ROBERT, 45 years old, of 1,653
Cadwalader Street, Philadelphia, a friend
of the Hendrickses, in Cooper Hospital,
Camden, burned about the legs, face and
James Hendricks Sr., in West Jersey
Homeopathic Hospital, severely burned.
Only two of the nine bus passengers
who were Injured remained at
the hospital. They are Miss Margaret
Delehanty, 24 years old, of
261 South Olden Street, Trenton,
N. J., and Miss Margaret Biedler,
25, of Parkertown, N. J., school
teachers, both cut on the arms and
legs. They are expected to recover.
Carl Atkinson of Parkertown,
driver of the bus that hit the sedan,
was held by the State police for
questioning. He told them the
sedan swerved suddenly from the
road in a sharp cut to the left, then
straightened out and met the bus
head-on. Whether the manoeuvre
was caused by one of the front
tires going flat, he could not tell.
Passing motorists and some men
from a near-by garage dragged the
injured sedan passengers from the
burning vehicle at the risk of their
lives. Jack Martin of Oaklyn, N .
J., driver of a bus northbound,
leaped in with his fire extinguisher
and reached Quinn, who had been
overlooked by the first rescuers.
The victims pulled out of the sedan
were hurried to Camden, twenty-three
miles northward, in private
cars. The injured bus passengers
were taken aboard a bus and were
carried five miles into Hammonton,
where they were attended by Dr. A .
L. Esposito.

Oct. 28, 1933 edition of The New York Times