Cuylerville, NY Explosion In Salt Mine, Apr 1975

2 PERISH IN MINE EXPLOSION.

Geneseo, N.Y. (AP) -- An explosion at a shaft of an abandoned salt mine near this western New York community Friday killed two men and injured six others. Another man was reported missing.
The blast was at an International Salt Co. mine shaft near Cuylerville and was felt as far as five miles away.
A company spokesman said a crew had been working on the surface at the 1,150-foot deep shaft for two weeks, using a bulldozer to shove rocks into the abandoned shaft to fill it.
John Dakin, a petroleum engineer for the state Bureau of Mineral Resources, told reporters that the explosion was caused by methane gas.
Dakin said that salt mines occasionally have accumulations of methane gas, and he noted the presence in the area of several gas wells.
Dead of arrival at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester were JOSEPH BUCCI, 54, of Retsof, maintenance supervisor for International salt mines in the Retsof area; and ROBERT J. ACKLEY, 30, of Warsaw.
Missing was ANGELO GIGLIO, believed to be in his late 40s, also of Retsof.
Two of the injured were treated for minor injuries and sent home.
Four others were admitted to hospitals, all in satisfactory condition.

Syracuse Post Standard New York 1975-04-19

Comments

International Salt Explosion

Angelo Giglio's body was subsequently found. One of the injured, David L. Buckley, 45 , Plant Manager, subsequently as a result of complications due to his injuries. He was my father.