Buffalo, New York City, Niagara Falls, NY Devasting Storms, Jan 1889

Immense Loss and Much Suffering Occasioned by the Furious Blow at Buffalo, N. Y.

The Niagara Suspension Foot-Bridge Swept Away and the River Bank Strewn with Wrecked Property.

No Such Storm Known in America for Several Years -- The Losses Will Reach Many Millions.

The Force of the Storm at Buffalo Unparalleled Since 1871.
Buffalo, N. Y., Jan 10 -- Last night's storm in this city has had no parallel since 1871. The velocity of the wind reached sixty miles per hour, and worked sad havoc with trees, chimneys and window glass. The telegraph, telephone and electric-light wires in the city and for miles in all directions are prostrated. No trains have left here since midnight, and wrecking trains sent out to clear the tracks of poles, trees, etc., are blocked. Such was the force of the wind that the water in the lake rose highter than since 1841. The whole of the Thirteenth ward is three feet under water. A strip of land known as the "Island" is flooded, and six houses belonging to fishermen have been swept away. It is reported that several lives have been lost, among them the sone of Alderman DRAKE, but the report has not been verified.

Disastrous Effects in Brooklyn.
New York, N. Y., Jan. 10 -- The big storm struck New York last night, and for fifteen minutes a regular cyclone prevailed. The most disastrous result was at the navy yard in Brooklyn, where one-half the roof of the main barracks was blown off. Fortunately no one was killed, but the following were injured: Private COYNE, sergeant KENCH, private KING, private MURPHY, Captain CHARLES WILLIAMS, musician WOODS.
With the exception of Captain WILLIAMS, who was severely cut, all of those persons received only slight bruises. The blowing off of the roof was followed by the breaking out of flames in the building, but they were soon extinguished.
Two gasometers of the Citizens Gas Company, in Smith street, Brooklyn, exploded during the height of the storm and caused an immense amount of damage. How the gasometers exploded could not be ascertained for a certaintly. There were two rumors afloat, one which originated with a young fellow around the works, and was to the effect that a tank had been struck by lightning. The other was that the tanks had been overcharged. There were two explosions. The first occurred at twenty-five minutes to eight, the second at a quarter to eight, ten minutes after. There were three tanks in a line stretching from Fortieth street toward Gowanus canal, and the first and third were blown up while the counter one remained intact. The damage sustained by the company is about $135,000. The damage to property roundabout is estimaned[sic] at $125,000. No lives were lost. Nearly all the telegraph wires to the West are down and communication there is difficult.

The Niagara Suspension Foot-Bridge Blown Down -- Damage Along the River.
Niagara Falls, N. Y., Jan. 10 -- The storm raged here last night with great fury. The suspension foot-bridge spanning the Niagara river below the falls was torn from its cables at three o'clock this morning and a portion of it lies on either bank while the center portion of it is at the bottom of the river. The structure was out clean from tower to tower.
At Brundage's elevator, on the American side of whirlpool rapids, a two-story building was blown into the rapids and swept away.
At Buttery's elevator, on the American side, DOTTERICH'S photograph gallery was swept into the whirlpool.
A part of Manning's elevator, on the American side, was swept away, and the lower part of the Rapids View elevator is gone.
The tin roof on the Internal Hotel was torn off.
Several buildings on the reservation have been blown down and many trees destroyed. The bridge connecting Goat and Sister islands is in danger.
The dock at the foot of the inclined railway has been swept away.
The water in the Niagara river is very high and many buildings on the Canadian shore are in danger. The storm still continues.
The portion of the suspension bridge which was blown down was completed January 4, 1869, and was almost entirely rebuilt last year. The bridge was owned by a stock company. A majority of the stock was held by the estate of DELOS DeWOLF, of Oswego. A temporary bridge will probably be swung from the cables as soon as possible.

The Saturday Herald Decatur Illinois 1889-01-12