Hastings on Hudson, NY Restaurant Fire, Nov 1962

PERISHED IN FIRE.

Hastings on Hudson, N.Y. (AP) -- A deaf mute kitchen worker perished Saturday when fire destroyed the Rock House restaurant, a landmark dating from the nation's early days.
Firemen digging through the ruins found the remains of WILLIAM McGUANE, 43, several hours after the blaze was extinguished.
He had living quarters in the 2 1/2 story frame and stone structure, which once was a wayside inn on the Coach road between Albany and New York City.
The building, situated at a location easily seen from the Hudson river, long had been used as a nagivational aid by ship crews. It caught fire shortly after 4 a.m.
The building was owned by R. A. BAKER of Sebring, Fla., and the restaurant was operated by LEO PETERS. There was no immediate estimate of the loss.

Lowell Sun Massachusetts 1962-11-04