Tucumcari, NM Train Wreck, Oct 1922


Train Runs Away on Steep Hill on E. P. and S. W. Northwest of Tucumcari; Faulty Air Blamed.

Special to The Journal

Tucumcari, N. M., Oct. 26. - One of the worst wrecks that has occurred on the El Paso and Southwestern railway in many years occurred when a freight train drawn by two engines was derailed while [illegible] down the [illegible] hill, 43 miles northwest of this place of this place on the Dawson line today. Thirty-six of the 42 cars left the track, and it is said that more than 300 feet of track was torn up in the deep cut. Air failure is given as the cause of the wreck.

F. S. Hinds, engineer on the second engine, was fatally injured, and died while en route to the hospital in El Paso. M. B. Carroll, engineer on the first engine was released from the reckage after five hours work, and is in the hospital at this place. The extent of his injuries is not known.

Joe Morgan, fireman on the first engine, who jumped and was found unconscious some hours after the wreck, is in the hospital here.

J. B. Cantrell, head brakeman, who was on the second engine is missing and it is believed he is buried beneath the wreckage. H. E. Beekman, conductor; W. J. Vanue, rear brakeman, and Claude Wisgrove, fireman on the second engine, are uninjured.

Realizing that the train was beyond control, Wingrove and Beekman uncoupled the caboose from the train at the 45-mile post, and with the aid of hand brakes were able to bring the caboose to a stop just before the wreckage was reached.

As the train started down the steep grade the speed is said to have increased from 25 to 70 miles an hour. The engine pulling the heavy freight of coke and coal broke down 15 miles beyond the wreck early in the evening and an engine was dispatched from this place to bring in the train. Several days will be required to clear the wreckage.

F. S. Hinds has been in regular service of the Southwestern for 25 years and is well known in El Paso and the southwest. He leaves a wife and 6 children.

The Albuquerque Morning Journal, Albuquerque, NM 27 Oct 1922