Santa Cruz, NM Boy Electrocuted Climbing Tree, Mar 1993


A nine-year-old Santa Cruz boy was electrocuted Monday afternoon after he came in contact with a power line while climbing a tree.
The boy, JASON LOPEZ, had climbed 40 feet up into a blue spruce in a neighbor's back yard when he touched a live wire on the power line, which ran through the tree, according to Lt. Wayne Salazar of the Espanola Police Department.
The boy was brought to the ground by a neighbor, Salazar said. When the police arrived, the boy did not have a pulse and police attempted unsuccessfully to revive him, Salazar said.
The boy was later pronounced dead at Espanola Hospital. He was the son of James and Geraldine Lopez.

Santa Fe New Mexico 1993-03-16