Orange, NJ Fire, Apr 1898


Freeman Building Damaged--A Panic Among Shoppers.

ORANGE, N. J., April 30--The Freeman Building, one of the principal business blocks in Maine Street, was partly destroyed by a fire started by the explosion of a barrel of gasoline at 8 o'clock tonight. There are half a dozen stores in the building. All were filled with shoppers when the blaze started, and there was a panic for a few minutes. Several firemen were overcome by smoke and had to be carried from the building.

A collection of seventy-five singing birds owned by Charles Sturtevant were killed by smoke. The rooms of the Orange Cycle Club and Alpha Musical Club were ruined by water. The building is an old one, and although four fire companies were on hand two minutes after the explosion, it took an hour's work to get the fire under control. The total loss aggregates $12,000.

Those whose stock was damaged are Charles Sturtevant, furniture; J. H. Valentine, photographer; Julius Harris, dry goods; Hindle & Williams, plumbers; Windel Brothers, confectioners; Charles Menagh, hardware.

New York Times, New York, NY 1 May 1898