New Brunswick, NJ Railroad Accident, Mar 1899





A pathetic death scene was witnessed in the baggage room at the George Street Station early yesterday morning. On a stretcher lay a plucky young brakeman with both legs and an arm cut off, suffering intense pain, while by his side sat his young wife, with her 11-month-old babe in her arms, as brave as he and cheering him up as best she could until he breathed his last.
The unfortunate man's name was EUGENE M. LIPPINCOTT, who, with his wife and three small children, lived at No. 650 East State Street, Trenton. He was 25 years old. He was an extra hand and on Saturday was sent out in a crew in charge of Conductor H. W. Truax. Being a new hand in accordance with the custom among freight crews, he was placed on the front of the train.
On the return trip near the East Brunswick yards the engineer blew for downbrakes and LIPPINCOTT, who was riding in the engine, climbed over the tender and to the top of the first car. As he was about to put on the brakes on the first car farthest away from the engine, the engineer applied the air brakes. This suddenly jolted the train and the brakeman was hurled headlong down between the two cars and fell underneath the train. He was fatally injured, both legs and an arm being cut off, and a portion of one of the thighs forced up through the abdomen a distance of three inches.
The accident occurred at 9 o'clock and he was brought to this city on the passenger train due here at 9:11 p.m. Despite his awful injuries young LIPPINCOTT was still conscious when picked up and upon being carried into the baggage room his first request was that his wife be sent for. He calmly gave night Baggagemaster Thomas Cleary the directions as to where he lived and she was notified at once. Dr. Clark was also sent for and upon examining the man said there was no hope for him. He did not think it advisable to move him to the hospital as he might die in the ambulance so he was kept in the baggage room and made as comfortable as possible. The doctor relieved him of pain as much as possible.
The wife, a pretty young woman 24 years old, who was so soon to be a widow, reached here on the 11:24 p.m. train. She was accompanied by her father, Jonathan Martindale, and brought her babe with her. The meeting between husband and wife was indeed full of pathos, so much so that it brought tears to the eyes of many of the bystanders, some of whom were obliged to leave the room. The husband, a mangled mass of humanity, within the shadow of death, gave his wife a smile of recognition as she entered the door. She hurried to his side, and, upon being informed that his death was only a matter of hours, she never winced, though overwhelmed with grief, but pluckily controlled herself and cheered up her dying husband.
LIPPINCOTT remained conscious to the last. He died at 3:25 o'clock, having endured his suffering with great fortitude for nearly seven hours. While the devoted wife nursed him during the last hours of his existence, the railroad employes at the station assisted in caring for the little one.
The body was removed to the morgue of Undertaker McDede where it was prepared for burial. It was sent to Forest Grove, Pa., for burial.

The Daily Times New Brunswick New Jersey 1899-03-06