Carney's Point, NJ DuPont Powder Works Explosion, Apr 1899


Torpedo Goes Off Unexpectedly at the Du Pont Works - Capt. Stuart, a Government Inspector, Killed.

WOODBURY, N. J., April 29. - Capt. Sidney E. Stuart, a Government Inspector, and four employes of the Dupont Powder Works at Carney's Point, near here, were killed this afternoon by an explosion. The dead are:


The men were in a small frame structure. They were experimenting with a torpedo. It was one of a supply ordered by the Government. The Inspector was closely watching the men. Without warning there was an explosion. The building was demolished. Morris, Smith, Yaeger, and Fraint were struck by pieces of the torpedo. The explosion was heard for miles. The noise attracted crowds to the works.

A workman named Russell was mangled about the body and lost the sight of both his eyes. He is not expected to live. The cause of the explosion is unknown.

It occurred shortly after 2 o'clock. Owing to the secrecy maintained by those about the works, but meagre details of the accident were learned. It is believed that Capt. Stuart and one of the workmen were making a test of some powder in the press mill when the explosion occurred. The press mill was wrecked and a number of valuable presses were destroyed. Yeager, Smith, and Frient had just left the mill. They and Morris were instantly killed. Capt. Stuart was badly injured, and died shortly afterward.

Capt. Sidney E. Stuart was an officer in the Ordnance Department of the army, a member of the Board of Ordnance, whose duties included the test of high explosives, and as Government Inspector his work called him to all parts of the country. His home was in Wilmington, Del., where he had a wife and several children, and he represented the Government at the Du Pont Works.

Col. Frank Phipps, Chairman of the Ordnance Board, who is located on Governors Island, was much distressed to hear that Capt. Stuart had been killed. He said that he had expected the aptain here on Monday in connection with the duties of the board.

Capt. Stuart entered the Military Academy in 1876, was made Second Lieutenant of the First Artillery in June, 1880; was promoted to a First Lieutenant in the Ordnanace Department four years later, and was honorary graduate of the artillery school in 1884. He was made Captain of ordnance at the expiration of fourteen years' service, and had been active in the work which has kept the ordnance of the army up to the highest standard.

The New York Times, New York, NY 30 Apr 1899