Portsmouth, NH Concoran House Fire, Oct 1898


An alarm of fire shortly before eight o'clock on Monday evening from Box 9, on the corner of Deer and Vaughan streets, brought the department out to a slight blaze on the roof of Bridget Corcoran's house on Green street, opposite the sawmill.

It is thought that a spark from a passing locomotive caught the shingles afire, but it was discovered and extinguished before any damage was done.

The Chemical was the first on the scene, making excellent time, but was closely followed by the rest of the department.

A crowd of many hundred people gathered in that vicinity during the excitement.

Portsmouth Herald, Portsmouth, NH 4 Oct 1898