Keene, NH Snow Storm, Dec 1854

In the afternoon of Sunday, Dec. 2, 1854, a wind and snow storm visited Keene, which increased in violence and continued through the night. Much damage was done to buildings, fences and timber. Fifty chimneys in the village were blown down and some buildings were destroyed. More than 500 old growth pine trees, belonging to Stephen Chase, were blown down, and large numbers on a lot in Ash Swamp, on the ministry lot, on the Wright farm on Beech hill, and in other parts of the town. The following summer, Mr. Chase, in connection with his brother Charles, put up a stream sawmill on the east side of the road a few rods north of his house, to cut up the pine timber. After running a few years, the mill was sold to Charles Chase and Madison Fairbanks, who removed it to Ralston street in 1860, increased the power, added other buildings and carried on a large business in the manufacture of sash, doors, blinds and other products of wood. Later the plant was owned and operated by Mr. Fairbanks alone.

A History of the Town of Keene from 1732, when the Township was Granted by Massachusetts, to 1874, when it Became a City, 1904, page 458


THE STORM of last week was very severe with us, but much more so in other parts. At Manchester several unfinished buildings were blown down. At Keene and in that vicinity much damage was done.---Several barns and sheds were unroofed, chimnies [sic] and trees were blown down. At Northumberland in this State, according to the Lancaster Democrat, the gale was tremendous. The bridge across the Connecticut covered, and 300 feet in length, was literally lifted up and set down upon the river below, where it still furnishes a convenient crossing for foot passengers. Chimnies [sic], fences, barns, sheds, were blown down, and other damage done.

The Farmers' Cabinet, Amherst, NH 14 Dec 1854