Exeter, NH Goodwin Block Fire, Jan 1899

BIG FIRE IN EXETER

Goodwin Block on Front Street Entirely Destroyed.

The Loss to Owners and Tenants Will Reach $29,000.

Exeter, N. H. Jan. 1 --The Goodwin block on Front street was visited by fire early this morning. Loss $28,000 to block and tenants. The occupants of the upper floor barely escaped with their lives, being unable to save anything. The block was owned by Goodwin Bros, who lose $8,000; Dr. A. S. Wetherell $15,000; Mrs. Jennie Bennett, restaurant, $1,000; Goodwin Bros., grocers, $1,500; other tenants $1,500. All insured.

Portsmouth Herald, Portsmouth, NH 2 Jan 1899