York, NH Barn Fire, Jan 1899

FIRE AT YORK

Barn of John McIntire, With Contents, Entirely Destroyed.

The barn of John McIntire of Scotland district, York, was destroyed by fire on Saturday evening together with its contents and live stock. Mr. McIntire went to the barn with a lantern and tried to catch a hen. The hen knocked the lantern over and it set fire to a hay mow. The flames spread so quickly that Mr. McIntire was unable to save any of the live stock and barely escaped with his life.

Two cow, a heifer and one horse together with twelve tons of hay and all the family implements were destroyed. The loss will be about $1500 with partial insurance.

The Portsmouth Herald, Portsmouth, NH 30 Jan 1899