Kansas City, MO Gas Stove Fire, Feb 1904

PERISHED IN A BURNING STORE

THE DEADLY GASOLINE STOVE SCORES AGAIN

Occupants Leap From Windows as Building Burns

KANSAS CITY, Feb. 11. - Miss Jessie Averill, aged 20, a clerk in a millinery store, was burned to death, and four others were injured, one perhaps fatally, in a fire today that destroyed a three story apartment house at Fifteenth and Harrison streets.

There were several narrow escapes and several persons jumped from second and third story windows.

The injured were Miss Ida Parish, badly burned and injured internally, perhaps fatally.

Miss Lena Snelling, face and hands burned serious.

Miss Margaret Shaw, face and head burned, serious.

Miss Minnie Taylor, head and hands badly burned, arm broken.

The fire was started by the explosion of a gasoline stove in Miss Averill's room.

She was burned to a crisp and her body fell out of a window through which she apparently tried to escape.

Reno Evening Gazette, Reno, NV 11 Feb 1904